December 19 th

3

R.I.P. Mellow

By
Share this!  Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailFacebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

My friend in Kingman had a big, healthy dog. He ate one rat which had eaten Decon. He was seen by the vet Thursday. Put on vitamin K. Mellow DIED today! He was a healthy McNab stock dog with people who loved him dearly.

The new Decon is really dangerous.

http://helenair.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/article_00f3d7fb-a6f4-54fe-a7e9-754c97205daf.html

“DeCon. It’s one of the most effective poisons commercially available. One of the laments in veterinary school classes was why did the poison companies feel the need to make those rodenticides so powerful.

DeCon works by inhibiting the blood’s ability to clot by inhibiting vitamin K-1 production causing the victim to bleed to death fairly soon after ingesting it. The new rodenticides are so effective and powerful that if a cat eats a mouse that died from DeCon poisoning the cat will likely die. If another animal feeds on the dead cat, it may well die, too.

The other thing the newer poisons do is last a long time in an animal’s system. Inadvertent poisoning with the older generation of rat poisons involved a week of so of treatment. The new products can inhibit vitamin K-1 for four to six weeks and treatment during that time is critical if the animal is to survive the poisoning.”

sunrise

Categories : News

Comments

  1. Sharon Jacobs-Salinas says:

    My heart goes out to Mellow’s family; such a horrific, painful loss.

    This poison, DeCon, is far too potent and dangerous to be used as a means to kill rats/mice! How scary to think your beloved furbaby will surely not survive if he/she should happen to eat a rat/mice that has injested DeCon.

    How do they get away with selling this dangerous poison knowing full well it will also kill ANY animal that may eat the dead rodent! Or, perhaps that’s their ulterior motive, especially, in cities with large populations of unwanted dogs and cats! This is an outrage! This poison, DeCon, should be BANNED!!

    R.I.P Mellow ~

  2. Cathy Ritlaw says:

    I agree. Nothing this toxic should be on the market. It is a disgrace!

  3. Carrie Ward says:

    Rat poison is HORRIBLE! There are other ways of exterminating pests! There are several types of traps on the market ranging from sticky tape (which seems a bit cruel to me) to electrocution.
    I personally had a problem with squirrels and rats living in my attic last spring and called http://www.911wildlife.com/
    Granted, they are a Dallas company, so not helpful to other areas, but I’m sure there are other companies like them. They do not kill any of the animals, but force them out simply by installing one way doors on the main entrances to your attic so once they leave, they can’t come back! It worked IMMEDIATELY! I did not hear anything in my attic within 24 hours of them coming out.

Leave a Reply

We are a Non-Profit 501(c)3 organization.