July 24 th


A Day in the Life at JERAS

Share this!  FacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmailFacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

A friend asked me for a rundown of an average day here, so here it is!

JERAS (Journey’s End Ranch Animal Sanctuary) is home to 20 once abandoned or abused animals. I run the sanctuary on my 25 acres of high desert land. The 6 mustangs and 2 burros have 5 fenced acres. The pot bellied pig and Barbados ram live in adjoining pens. The 10 dogs share my home and have doggie door access to a 1/4 acre fenced yard.  I do all the work alone.

I get up fairly early, and first thing is giving 9 dogs their thyroid pills. Then, a quick pick-up of doggie doo which gets put in a 5 gallon covered pail. Then, it’s down to the shed to get the sheep, pig and wild bird seed out and feed Wilbur, Rambeau and the wild doves and quail.

Then, off to the hay pile to load the garden cart with a good sized flake of hay for each horse and burro. If any horse is losing weight, I will separate them from the others for the morning and feed them extra.

All water receptacles are checked and, if low, are dumped, cleaned and changed.

I return to the house to vacuum the floors. By now, it has been the required hour between thyroid meds and feeding.

The dogs go to separate areas or into crates or the X pen so they can eat in peace.

Since I use a lot of supplements, getting the dry food, supplements and canned food into the pans takes a bit of time, during which everyone is screaming (they think “singing”). I wear earmuff ear protectors.

Once they are done eating, they each get a rawhide strip to enjoy chewing.
Then, I get to eat breakfast, have my one cup of coffee and start sorting through the 300 or so nightly emails that have come in. If we have received a donation, I send a thank you email to the donor.

Once the dogs have had a chance to digest their food somewhat, I take them on a walk. It takes 4 shifts. Several dogs can come off lead and they will chase lizards or jackrabbits along our walk, if they see any. The ones whom I cannot trust off lead, are on 26 foot flexi leads. We have dirt roads and no traffic here.

By now, it is mid morning. I either go back to emails, networking or spending some time on Facebook with my animal advocate friends, or I head out to trim horse’s hooves, clean the pig and sheep pens or just spend time with the horses & burros.

Midday, I repeat the feeding of the pig, sheep, and equines. I soak about 5 # of hay pellets to use in the evening feeding. If it is hot, some of the horses will “ask” to be hosed off.

Lunchtime, take a shower and try to get a short nap.

Afternoons are spent on the computer or doing office and housework. I vacuum again and maybe mop floors. All the floors are bare. I wash all the dog bedding at least weekly.

The dogs get their second meal late afternoon and thyroid pills in the evening. I try to brush the dogs’ teeth 3 X a week.

The horses, burros, pig and sheep get another meal in the evening. This is when the equines get hay, plus a pan of soaked hay pellets with a vitamin/mineral supplement added.

Late evenings it’s back to emails, Facebook, and networking animals in need. I also spend some time daily on the phone with friends or helping people with animal care or health problems.

I get about 6 hours sleep and tomorrow it starts all over.

I think I need a nap now……

Missy and Raindance

Categories : News

Leave a Reply

We are a Non-Profit 501(c)3 organization.