February 21 st

New JERAS videos & news

By
Share this!  Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailFacebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

It has been a rough week here at JERAS, but with a few bright spots, too. I was trimming Knickers’ feet Thursday & he decided he did not want me to finish his back feet. I very stupidly pushed my luck and he spun and kicked me, both barrels, in the chest. I really thought that was going to be the end of me, but I managed to get up, get his halter & rope off and crawl to the house. Thank goodness nothing seems broken, but I am really sore.
Tara’s tumor seems has grown rapidly in 3 weeks and has now ulcerated, indicating it is cancerous. Our vet thought it was benign 3 weeks ago, but apparently it is a perianal adenoma. “Perianal adenoma tumors may require a multi-dimensional treatment plan, because they are highly aggressive and tend to spread rapidly. This treatment plan usually includes surgery to remove the tumor if possible, followed by chemotherapy and radiation”. She has inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis and the tumor…and at 12 & 1/2 years old, major surgery is out of the question, even if we had unlimited funds, which we do not. At least she has had 2 + good years here after 10 years of being chained & neglected by a neighbor. It took me 2 years of begging to finally get her here in Jan. of 2010. I wish we had been able to take her sooner, but chaining a dog in the weather with little shelter is legal in Az. I was able to give her a doghouse 4 years ago, which made her a bit more comfortable while she still lived there. Our vet is coming here tomorrow afternoon to put her to sleep. She is in mild distress on & off now, but I have given her meds to make her more comfortable. I cannot travel to town with my chest injury from the kick, and dragging her 20 miles in the back of my truck would be too traumatic for her, so we will wait until he comes here tomorrow. I am worried about Rainy, because she adores Tara and I know she will mourn her passing. This video is from last fall.

By networking, we were able to save 2 dogs this past week, a coonhound in Texas which we coordinated rescue for and an old Aussie at our local high-kill shelter that we contacted Az. Aussie rescue about and they saved her 2 days ago.

We have a backhoe coming Thursday or Friday to level the spots for the hay shed and horse shelter that the Pepsi grant will pay for. That is exciting!

Categories : News

Comments

1. Monica Wilson says:

Oh this breaks my heart to read this about Tara!

I hate this cancer! You gave her wonderful last years Cathy and she will never forget that.

Taking Bax to the vet on Monday to have the mass in his mouth excised. It has gotten so large and is ooozing alittle blood.
    He is still eating and running around like a puppy most of the time so the diet and supplements at least make him feel good, I just wish I could make the cancer go away.

Thinking of you. Give Rainy so big hugs from us, I know she’ss be missing her Tara.

Monica & Gang

2. Jeannie Parisi says:

Aww, Catherine, I know we chatted about Tara but I am again so sorry but happy she had such a good life with you

3. Marilyn Geraghty says:

So sorry to hear about Tara. I just loved watching that video of the dogs together. How lucky was she that she had you taking care of her for the last couple of years. Take care of yourself…please!!

4. Cathy Ritlaw says:

Thank you, Monica, Marilyn & Jeannie. Monica, I think about Baxter a lot and I am glad he still feels this well. You just lost Vega and I hope Baxter stays here a lot longer. Tell him BOL!

5. Sharon Jacobs-Salinas says:

Hi, sweetie ~ Tara may have been 12.5 y/o, but she was still absolutely beautiful. Cathy, I’m sorry you lost Tara and my heart goes out to you. You gave her over two wonderful years. She was safe, sheltered and well cared for with kindness and lots of love. Tara, finally, knew what it was to be LOVED and HAPPY … I know she is truly R.I.P.

6. Sharon Jacobs-Salinas says:

Yep, me again! CATHY! I CANNOT believe you put yourself in a position to get ‘double-barreled’ in the chest by KNICKERS … or ANY horse for that matter. WHAT “WERE” YOU THINKING?? KNICKERS is a BIG fella and you…you’re no bigger than a grasshopper next to him! I swear, it’s a miracle you’re alive, lady! No matter what you’re doing, keep your head in the game with KNICKERS, sweetie! Love to You & the Gang ♥

7. Cathy Ritlaw says:

he is a professional kicker.. I was standing in what should be a safe place…he is lightening fast and perfect aim.. years of neglect and probable abuse and this is what you may get

8. Cathy Ritlaw says:

thanks! Love you.

9. SASSIE_NASHVILLE_and_SHARON says:

I told Kindle about your sweet TARA and the KNICKERS kicking you got! She was upset to hear about your TARA and KNICKERS double-barreling you in the chest scared the crap out of her! Perhaps she’s already called or emailed you. Love you bunches & the ‘Gang’, too! BE CAREFUL SILLY WOMAN! H-u-g-s ♥

10. Cathy Ritlaw says:

tell her thanks, but I have been cheating death for years and it will get me when it is ready. Losing Tara is hard, but the point is that we allow abuse & neglect in this country and there are thousands like Tara… some never have a chance at all. People need to do more, we are a lazy & complacent society.

11. Particularly says:

Marvelous post! New JERAS videos & news :: Journey's End Ranch Animal Sanctuary honestly tends to make my afternoon a little bit happier 😀 Continue alongside the remarkable articles! Cheers, Particularly