September 22 nd


JERAS Daily Diary

Share this!  FacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmailFacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

The Christian tradition in which I was raised taught that our good deeds would be rewarded. I guess that concept is ingrained in my psyche…

Two years ago, I was just a disabled and ill person with 11 rescued animals. I had borrowed as much as I could to support them, trusting I would sell a piece of land I had to pay off the debt. With a very depressed real estate market, I realized I was in trouble and could borrow no more. I decided to become a non-profit, then a 501(c)3 and throw myself fully into rescue. I finally found a computer I could tolerate with my severe MCS. I was sure that with a good website and networking, I could bring in enough funding to not only support the animals here already, but to expand to having as many as I could care for properly with my health challenges and no outside help. We took in an additional 4 horses, 5 dogs and  a sheep.

I did finally sell the land, and every cent of the monthly incoming payments goes to paying off old rescue debt. I spend 8 hours a day caring for animals and another 8 on the computer. Between my personal Facebook contacts and fans of the sanctuary’s Fb page and my Holistic Animal Health page, I have > 4,000 contacts. I am also on Twitter, Linkedin and other networking sites.

I not only care for these 21 animals, I have saved dozens of others by fostering,  networking to the right people and helping coordinate shelter “pulls” and transports to new homes.

I also help a lot of people with their own health issues and with holistic  animal care advice. I was a licensed vet tech before becoming disabled 17 years ago with multiple complications from many years of undiagnosed Lyme disease and babesiosis. Doctors said I was dying 14 years ago, but I spent thousands if hours researching Lyme and Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and  found what I needed to do to save my own life. I cannot go out in public or be hospitalized, so I am on my own.

So, we are still not bringing in quite enough to support the 21 JERAS rescues. We were very fortunate to receive several large donations in the past year, but we cannot count on that again. Without them, we would have gone under.  Most of these animals are not adoptable..the horses have injuries and are not rideable, the dogs have medical needs and behavioral issues that people do not want to deal with…that is why they were on death row to begin with when we took them in.

I cannot physically do more than work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. I live and breathe this sanctuary, nothing else. I never leave, have no social life except through animal advocacy.  People are always praising me, but this is not about me. It is about the survival  of these precious and worthy animals.

In an attempt to bring more people into our group of friends and supporters, I will try to blog daily…so everyone can see the hard work involved here and maybe  these animals will be rewarded  because of my good deeds.


Today, I rose early,  feeling as I always do- like I have the flu. I gave medications to 10 dogs, then fed the 9 equines and pig and goat. I picked up dog waste in the yard. I vacuumed the house,  fed the dogs, gave them their rawhide, then cooked and ate my breakfast. I cleared a few of the > 500 emails we get daily. I drove 5 miles to get our mail and a bag of dog food. I must wear my chemical respirator to interact with the man at the store ( to think that for the first 40 years of my life, I actually cared what I looked like..LOL). When I got home, I put the  35# of dog food away. The back surgeon told me to limit my lifting to 10# in 1991 after my fusion..yeah, right!  I took the covers off all the dog beds and cots and started the laundry. I pulled the drain hose from the washer out to run the water on one of the trees. We do not waste grey water in the desert. I went down and put soaking boots on Flash and Kola.. Kola does not like them, so it is a bit of a struggle, but we must treat the hoof infections she arrived with from her time with BLM. I then put my respirator on in order to mix the Oxine and citric acid hoof soaking solution. It gives off chlorine fumes. I filled the hoof boots with the Oxine, Kola trying to avoid it. I came up to the house  and got the dog laundry into the dryer,  drained the hose and put it away.

After 20 minutes of soaking, it was time to pull the boots. I then trimmed both Kola’s and Flash’s feet. Flash has feet distorted by years of improper trimming. He has hoof infection that goes down many layers. I must do a trim weekly (this was # 5 since he arrived a month ago). By keeping the walls down to live sole, we avoid peripheral loading and he is now walking on his frogs and sole as Nature intended. This is allowing his hoof capsule to shorten to a more normal length and form. I also have to “back up” his toes and clean out infected sole. Kola was kind and allowed me to trim her without leaning on me too much. I am not really up to holding up a 900# horse.

I then gave the horses and burros their noon hay, emptied and refilled water tubs, and fed the pig and sheep.

I was literally drenched (it is still hot here). I started cooking lunch and took a shower. I ate, then put all the dog bedding back on their cots (I must pin it on).I got a 30 minute nap. It was then time for the dogs’ second meal (3 PM). I fed them, doling out the numerous supplements they take. I washed my sink full of dishes and washed the 10 dog dishes and their water bowl.

…then, I came here to blog…..I still have hours of paperwork/computer work to do, still need to vacuum and mop floors, feed horses, burros, sheep and pig. In the evening, they get their pan of soaked hay pellets and vitamin/mineral supplement in addition to hay. I am on a new supplement which acts as an immune modulator…it is causing a lot of Lyme Herx (die-off), but the severe heart pain I have been having for a month has gone away. I think it is helping, just praying it does not turn into an out-of-control cytokine storm which occur every few months and can be life-threatening. One Lyme “protocol” I was on 2004-2007 overstimulated my immune system and I have been struggling to slow it down before it kills me. The Microlactin I started 8 days ago is supposed to get your WBC’s fighting infection in your bloodstream, not in your organs/joints where they set off inflammation. Praying it is the answer….

Categories : News

Leave a Reply

We are a Non-Profit 501(c)3 organization.